Friday, November 29, 2013

This is Getting Old

Two days on the bland diet, with some help from a spoonful or two of pumpkin and yogurt at each meal, and Airlie's stools were back to normal (after an initial small amount of congealed, clotting, tacky, blood on the end of her first solid poop, which is normal for her).

No vomiting all week, back on her regular food and portions.

She lost a bit more weight than she needed to. I had already been cutting her back, trying to get her to loose a bit of pudge she'd developed. That 4lbs difference between last year's vet visit and this year's. I forgot she'd been getting daily snacks of popcorn for a while there when I was having it as "lunch" almost every day for about a month. That's probably where the extra weight -which didn't look bad on her, I just wasn't happy with it- came from. I probably didn't really need to cut her back.

Actually, cutting her portions back by 1/2 cup (total) per day was probably what pushed her to start gorging on vegetation grazed from the yard in the first place. I know all about pica and I've never felt like that was her issue. I do know she used to eat a lot of plant matter as a puppy, and there have been other times (also always in the fall) that she's resorted to filling her tummy with mud and sticks when she hasn't been getting enough real food. I suppose that's what happened this time, too, really. I'd already started adding 1/4 cup per day back, when DH (who only notices things when he finally has some time off) mentioned she looked too skinny. Give me a break, man. Either pay attention at the appropriate time, or butt out. So, she's back on her regular portions now, and maybe the other behavior is starting to taper off.  She and Kansas have both been hunting and ingesting a lot of worms and mud this week. The yard looks like it's been attacked by armadillos. It finally stopped raining and all of the earthworms came to the surface so as not to drown, is all I can think.

Ugh.

I wish they'd stop.

They're tearing up the yard.

And Airlie's having bloody anal leakage again.

Plus, I don't like being rudely awakened by her demanding to be taken out to poop at 5am and again at 6:30, like she did this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment