Wednesday, December 22, 2010

First Vet Visit

Well, technically it's my third, but first for me and my new family. I had my first two rounds of boosters, exams and other vaccinations when I was with Texas Cattle Dog Rescue. I was also spayed at that time. Today was just a well puppy check-up, and because I needed my last distemper booster. I also got put on flea/tick/heartworm preventatives, and they tried to check me for worms, just in case, but couldn't get a stool sample. That part was so traumatic! My little rectum is so irritated and sore because I keep insisting on ingesting (and pooping out) all of the sticks, leaves, nuts and other vegetation my mom calls "crap" out in the backyard. I'm in a chewing phase, and Mom keeps taking stuff out of my mouth and trying to get me to chew on toys she calls "appropriate" and "things you can't swallow". She says she doesn't want me getting "internal blockages" and that my poop is bloody from the crap I'm passing. It's mostly full of nuts that go in whole and come out the same way, some grass, the long, fibrous parts of the leaves from the banana tree in the neighbor's yard that fall into ours...

Anyway, they didn't get a stool sample because I didn't have any poop in me! Mom says my schedule is that I start pooping at 5:30pm, and do that pretty much hourly (or at least every time I'm taken out), until 8am the next morning. I usually go out twice at night, and poop both times. Then I poop at least 3 times when I get up in the morning- two of those are during our morning walk. So I am empty and I don't poop during the day, even though I'm getting fed 1 and 1/3 cups, over 3 feedings: 8am, 11am, and 2pm. 

I am a poopin' machine!

Well, unless you're a vet.

So, they expressed my anal glands and that wasn't fun, then they scared me so bad I peed all over the vet tech that was holding me, and sprinkled the floor. I should have cooperated when Mom & Dad kept encouraging me to "go potty" before we went inside.

I weigh 14.9lbs (have gained 2lbs since I arrived at my new home), and I made 5 new friends.I was a little uncertain at first. Mom says that I'm entering that critical "fear period", but once I checked the place out I decided it was ok. I liked all of the ladies at the front desk that I got to meet, and the technicians that held me, and also Dr. Cheryl. I had a good time! The cat that lives at the vet clinic, Squash, was really fun. She wanted to play with me, and kept sneaking up on me to get a closer look. I liked her a lot. She was way more fun than the 4 kitties I live with here. They don't like to play with me.

For now, I get to go back monthly for my flea/tick/heartworm stuff, until I settle into a weight category that I can stick with for a while.

4 comments: